In ChargeMonk, while opening an invoice the details of the invoice details will be available from the Invoices button. From below given actions that are made available on the right on "Actions" panel, you can choose:
The invoice can be sent through email with the help of the Send Email option.
With the help of the Update Invoice Address option, amend the shipping and billing addresses for the individual invoices:
- 1. This action modifies the address info associated with the specific invoice and not the shipping or billing address associated with the customer or subscription.
- In case you have activated the taxation option for your site, the country cannot be amended with this option in case the calculated tax rate depends on the location, as the tax rate imposed will amend. Get more information on the taxation feature of ChargeMonk here
With the help of the Collect Now feature, full or partial payment can be collected for an invoice.
With the help of the Record Payment feature, you can record offline payments received for invoices manually, which are in Payment Due or Not Paid mode.
Add the collected amount in the Amount section while recording the payment. From the final amount of the due invoice, the partial amount will be deducted.
The invoice will remain in the Payment Due or Not Paid mode until the complete due amount is recorded.
The customer's paid amount can be recorded, which is over the invoice amount.
The Record Payment feature can be utilized only to record the received amount in excess of the due amount.
when the excessive amount has been recorded, it will be included as an Excess Payment at the customer level. Automatically, this will then be imposed on the future invoices. Manually, it can be imposed on the current Not Paid or Payment Due invoices.
Apply Excess Payments
With the Apply Payments option, you can impose extra payments on invoices manually.
The Apply Payments option is available only when:
- Excess Payments are available for the customer.
- The invoice is in Payment Due or Not Paid mode.
with the help of the Remove option to eliminate the payment imposed on an invoice.
Once a payment is removed, the effect on different statuses is given below:
Once the payment is eliminated from a Paid invoice, the amount will be included in the balance of Excess Payments of the respective customer. In addition to this, if
- Auto collection is ON, the status of invoice will change to Not Paid and the due amount due will be increased.
- Auto collection is OFF, the status invoice will modify to Payment Due and the due amount will be increased.
Payment Due and Not Paid Invoices
Whenever the due payment is removed from a Payment Due or a Not Paid invoice, the due amount will get increased but the status of the invoice will remain the same.
In case there is a partially or fully refunded invoice, then the Remove option will not be available.
Apply Credits feature enables you to impose the refundable credits that are there for a specific customer to the invoice.
This option is available only when:
- Refundable Credits are available for the customer.
- The invoice is in Not Paid or Payment Due mode.
Whenever such action is chosen, the available Refundable Credits list will be displayed and the preferred credit can be selected to be imposed on the invoice.
With the help of Refund option, refunds can be issued for paid or partially paid invoices. Get detailed info on issuing refunds through the web interface here.
In case you have received offline payments and want to refund the same, utilize the Record Refund option.
Get detailed info on refunding offline payments here.
Create Credit Note (Reverse Invoice)
In case you want to give an amount back to your customer but also want to preserve the same in the form of credits, you should use the Create Credit Note operation.
Update PO Number
With the help of Update PO Number option, updating the Purchase Order Number in the invoice will be possible. This option is useful when:
- PO Number was not added when a subscription is created.
- The PO Number has been changed and requires to be updated in the previous invoices.
The PO number associated with the specific invoice will be changed with this action and not the PO number associated with the subscription.
In case the due amount of invoice was not gathered even after many attempts, the Write Off action will be used to close the invoice.
Whenever this option is utilized,
With the help of the Void option, you can terminate an invoice generated with erroneous details. An invoice can be marked as voided when:
- The amount in the invoice is incorrect.
- The amendments in the invoice are requested by the customer.
- The order is canceled by the customer.
It is not possible to void an invoice, if it has payments linked with it.
- Only Owner, Admin, Sales Manager, and Customer Support are allowed to use the void option.
- In case Promotional Credits had been imposed on the voided invoice, then the credits will get retained and included back to the customer.
- In case Prorated Credits had been imposed on a voided invoice, then the credits will be regained and included back to the subscription.
- 4. In case the invoice of the existing term is voided and if the subscription is amended with the Apply prorated credits and charges option activated, then Prorated Credits will not be generated for such subscription and will not be imposed on the next invoices.
- The invoice_deleted event will get triggered by voiding an invoice.
- After correcting the invoice details, the voided invoice can be regenerated.
The Delete option is used to delete an invoice permanently.
- Only the Owner and Admin are allowed to use the Delete option.
- In case Promotional Credits had been imposed on the deleted invoice, then the credits will get regained and included back to the customer.
- In case Prorated Credits had been imposed on a deleted invoice, then the credits will be regained and included back to the customer.
- In case the invoice of existing term is deleted and if the subscription is amended with the Apply prorated credits and charges option activated, then Prorated Credits will not be generated for such subscription and will not be imposed on the next invoices.
- The invoice_deleted event will get triggered by the deletion of an invoice.
It is not possible to delete an invoice in case:
- the invoice is already paid for
- Credit Notes were imposed on the invoice
Deleting Vs. Voiding
A deleted invoice will be eradicated from the system and that operation cannot get undone. In case you are filing for taxes then the invoice deletion might be challenging as you can lose all the details of the invoice number order. Such as, in case an invoice #002 is deleted, the invoices list will then be #001, #003, #004, #005, and so on.
In case an invoice is canceled, its status will get marked as Voided but the invoice will still be there in the system.
Regenerate invoice option enable you to generate the invoice again for the subscription, for the existing term.
When to regenerate the invoice?
Criterion 1: If you forgot to add a coupon to the subscription or in case the taxes have been imposed mistakenly, in that scenario you can use the Regenerate Invoice option. Therefore whenever an invoice is created with an erroneous amount, , taxes, coupons, shipping/billing address, etc. you can void that invoice and correct the invoice. When the modifications are done, you can regenerate the invoice with the correct details.
Criterion 2: In case, through API the subscriptions are imported into ChargeMonk, invoices will not be automatically generated. so, you can generate an invoice with the help of the Regenerate Invoice option.
Regeneration of an invoice can happen when:
a) There is no existing invoice for a subscription. (Invoices are voided/deleted)
b) There are no current term unbilled charges to a subscription.
Regeneration of an invoice cannot happen when,
- A Subscription state is In-Trial, Future or Cancelled.
- A Subscription is having a recurring invoice for the existing term.
- For the current term, a subscription has recurring Unbilled charges.
- A Subscription is having an Advance Invoice
Steps to Regenerate an Invoice
Step 1: Look for a subscription and choose the Regenerate Invoice option.
Step 2: Now choose the billing term
- Full Term - For the complete billing term, the invoice will be generated.
- Custom Period - Choose a specific period to regenerate the invoice.
Step 3: set up the options for Custom Period:
- Select a custom period to regenerate the invoice
Decide a Start and End date (make sure that these dates are within the billing cycle).
In case, ChargeMonk is running on the billing mode of day-based, the time component option will not impose.
Decide on the proration of charges for that period or not
Select to immediately invoice the charges or include them to unbilled charges (in case Consolidated Invoicing is activated)
- The fee for the set up plan will not be shown in the line items of the regenerated invoice.
- In case you had activated the features to hide the zero value line items in your settings of your, no invoice will be generated even when the subscription is in the Active mode. In cases like this, you do not view the option of regenerating the invoice.
Manage dunning feature is available once you have activated dunning, and for the Payment Due invoices only.
In case the invoices of customers are in dunning, ChargeMonk will try to collect payment from them again. Though in case you want to make an exemption for your customer, or you were notified that your payment will be made on the particular date, then dunning can be stopped or paused for the invoice in ChargeMonk.
Options to manage the dunning are present in the details page of the invoice.
Once the Manage Dunning option is selected by you, you can pause or stop dunning for that invoice.
Download as PDF
The invoice as PDF copy will be downloaded by the user for local reference.
In case you want to download bulk invoices that can also be done. Go to the Invoices button and use the Export as PDF option.
The Criterion can also be set with the help of these filters and those invoices can be downloaded. Once downloading one or more invoices, then the PDF files will be mailed as an attachment to you.
A maximum of 50 invoices will be included in every PDF file, one for each page.
Such as, in case you downloaded 80 invoices, 2 separate emails will be sent to you, one having 50 invoices and the other having 30 invoices.
This feature enables you to include added notes to the invoices. For each subscription or customer, the specific invoice notes can be configured. At a Plan, Addon, or Coupon level it will also be setup, to make sure that they will be added only whenever that specific item will be a part of the Invoice. You can also use the Invoice Notes option (Settings > Configure ChargeMonk > Invoices, credit notes and quotes > Invoices button, credit notes, quotes and invoices) to include a default note for all invoices. Get more info on Invoice Notes here.
Add Charge Item
Add Charge Item option is used to add one-time charges. This option is also available for invoices that are in Pending status.
Add Add-on Item
Add Add-on Item option is used to include an add-on in the invoice. This option is also available for invoices that are in Pending status.
In case metered billing is activated in ChargeMonk, the invoices will be created in the Pending status.
Close Now option can be used to add the usage based charges and the invoice status to Payment Due from pending will get changed by ChargeMonk.
Operations related to invoices can be performed with the help of Invoices API.
What is the process to correct the information on an existing invoice?
All you have to do is to go to the respective resources like customer, subscription, plan, add-on, and coupon to do modifications.
In case, the invoice does not have the correct billing or shipping address, you have to amend it in the respective subscription and if an invoice does not have the correct tax details, go to Settings > Configure ChargeMonk > Taxes and modify the tax configuration.
On the regeneration of an invoice, will its invoice number change?
Yes, the Invoice number will change whenever you regenerate the invoice for the subscription.
In ChargeMonk, how do invoice operations affect orders?
Checkout this section on the page of ChargeMonk Orders.
Is it possible to send a quote to a customer and convert it into an invoice later?
Yes, Get detailed information about quotes and proforma invoices in ChargeMonk.